When it comes to veggies, sweet bell peppers pack a powerful punch. They’re not just eye catching and loudly colorful in appearance, but are just as nutritious as they are beautiful. Check out the health benefits below.
- The levels of sulfur content allow for protection of certain cancers. Such as gastric and esophageal malignancies
- They contain vitamin E, which keeps hair and skin looking luscious
- The high levels of vitamin C again keep skin looking great but more importantly helps power the immune system. Natural killer cells are the cells in our body that seek out and destroy abnormal cells, including those of cancer. I'm definitely down for giving this army all the ammunition it needs to seek and destroy!
- Fruits and veggies with wide ranges of color are the ones that contain the most phytochemicals. The nutrients along with carotenoids provide your body with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory benefit. Antioxidants help to prevent cell and DNA damage, which is a cause of cancer. Also, decreasing inflammation in the body is huge; studies have proven that cancer thrives in an inflammatory environment. Any measure that is used to lower inflammation is a plus plus plus.
- They help lower bad cholesterol and control diabetes as well as contain enzymes that prevent cataracts later on in life. I don’t know about you, but I need my eye site. I have worn urkel glasses my entire life and cant afford for my eye prescription to get any worse.
This list is pretty impressive and goes to show that incorporating sweet bell peppers in to your diet will go a long way. I usually add them to salads or stir-fries. How do you prepare them at your place? Lorisa Leigh